On Tuesday (24th October 2017) the government announced that it was doubling the PE and Sport Premium to £320million a year. The funding aims to improve the quality of PE and Sports Provision in schools, supporting children’s health through physical activity.
The PE and Sport Premium is part of a series of programmes led by the Department for Education to improve healthy lifestyles among pupils and tackle childhood obesity. The area that is key for the promotion of sustainable and active travel is that the government have outlined that the money can be used to “embed physical activity into the school day through active travel for journeys to and from school”.
This is a great opportunity to promote Bikeability / cycle training, and provide schools with hints, tips and ideas for spending an allocation of their PE and Sports Premium budget on walking and cycling.
Some specific areas that they can spend the funding on include:
- · Providing staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PO and sport more effectively
- · Introduce new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- · Support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending schools sports and holiday clubs
- · Encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- · Embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school
See links below for the full details of the announcement: