10 schools were awarded School of the Region at the Modeshift STARS Regional awards that took place throughout November. These schools are invited attend to the National School Travel Awards taking place in March 2018 in London where the National Schools of the Year will be announced. Schools from across the country were nominated for the regional awards by their local authority for demonstrating best practice in promoting sustainable travel throughout their school. Schools could be nominated in one of four categories consisting of Early Years, Primary, Secondary and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).
Modeshift STARS is the national school travel award scheme designed to recognise schools who have shown excellence in promoting walking cycling and other forms of sustainable travel. The scheme is open to schools throughout England and is supported by the Department for Transport. Schools were nominated to attend the regional awards and celebrate their success and share best practice.
Nick Butler, Modeshift’s National Awards Manager says “the regional awards are a great opportunity to recognise schools for their commitment to promoting sustainable travel. It’s fantastic to see the varied range of new and creative ways that schools adopt to embed a culture of active travel within their communities.
The schools of the region:
- Mickley First School, Northumberland – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – North East
- Turton and Edgeworth C of E/Methodist Controlled Primary School, Blackburn with Darwen – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – North West
- Barnabas Oley CofE School, Cambridgeshire – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – East
- Portfields Combined School, Milton Keynes – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – South East
- Footsteps Day Nursery, Brighton and Hove – Modeshift STARS Early Years School of the Region – South East
- Calton Primary School, Gloucestershire – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – South West
- St Mary’s C of E VC Primary School, – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – Yorkshire and The Humber
- Riddings Infant & Nursery School, Derbyshire – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – Midlands
- Turves Green Boys Secondary School, Birmingham – Modeshift STARS Secondary School of the Region – Midlands
- Holbrook School for Autism, Derbyshire – Modeshift STARS Primary School of the Region – SEND
If you would like to find out more information about Modeshift STARS please visit www.modeshiftstars.org of find us on Twitter or Facebook by searching for @ModeshiftSTARS for more details.